It was a typical day in high school for a group of students at East High School in west Dublin.

The boys were busy working on their homework and they were about to finish it when their teacher turned up and told them to go home.

It was the beginning of a week of turmoil for a boy who had been the victim of an abuse and neglect case in the past.

He was also the subject of an investigation by the Garda Síochána after he was reported missing in January 2017.

The boy was last seen leaving his house in the early hours of January 17, a day after he failed to return home from a club.

He is believed to have been last seen at the corner of Kilbride Street and High Street.

He never made it home.

His parents believe they will never be able to locate him.

Now, a year later, the family is looking for answers.

Mr and Mrs Ní Chones have been campaigning for answers for over a year.

They said that while the case was reported to gardaí, the investigation took place at the behest of their school.

“The parents of the boy who was reported for missing had received a letter from a solicitor’s office stating that they had not heard anything about the case from gardaÍ, so they believed the investigation was taken on for their benefit,” they said.

“When they called us to find out the details of the investigation, the Gardai were unable to provide any information and said there was nothing they could do.”

“There was no contact between the Gardasí and the boy’s parents and they never received any communication from the Gardais,” said Mrs Nysons father.

“We were also told there was no Garda information on the case that was made available to us at all, and that we had to go to court and seek information from the school to get our case heard.”

“It was really quite frustrating.

We were also concerned about the fact that there was not a trace of the man from the CCTV footage,” added Mrs Niesons father, who has been married to the boy for six years.”

I think it is a bit unfair and I would hope that the school would understand that there is no information available to the family at this stage.”

The school is in the process of closing its doors for the next three years, as it prepares to move into a new building.

“At this stage, the school is closed for three years,” said a statement from the National School of Social Work (NSSW) in south Dublin.

“This is in line with the NSSW’s strategy to provide services to schools in the district that are already closing for operational reasons.”

The NSSM said it would work with the parents and the district to ensure their case was heard.

A spokesman for the school said it was not clear if there was any additional information in relation to the case.

The school had previously said that it would be opening a new school on High Street in 2019.